Hiking to Måstad
- Type of hike : Go back
- Visibility of the route : Good to poor in places
- Start/Finish : From the port of Værøy, take the 'Nordland' direction. Once you're at the hamlet, keep on Route 791 and then on the dirt track that prolongs the road to the end. Park near the toilets. The trail starts just behind the beach of Heimretussen.
- GPS Point : Starting point: N67 41.040 E12 39.423
Måstad hamlet: N67 38.564 E12 35.645
Water supply point in Måstad: N67 38.479 E12 35.849
Summit of Måhornet: N67 38.106 E12 35.301
Summit of Måstadheia : N67 38.803 E12 34.772
- Extensions : Måhornet and Måstadheia summits, difficult (if done the same day as return trip to Måstad ); 7 to 8 hrs; 17,5 km; ± 1150 m, max altitude 439 m
- Note : Hikers usually make this a roundtrip. Some passages along the north coast of the island are very rocky and uneven, which slows you down. If you've decided to make this hike in one day and you're planning on adding the Måhornet and Måstadheia summits, don't forget that you'll still have to go back' If you want to see the hamlet of Måstad in beautiful light, it's best to leave early enough to reach it during the morning. The mountains that surround the village quickly cast their shadow. Careful: there's only one permanent supply point for water on the way (see GPS point).
This long hike lets you get to the old village of Måstad in southeastern Værøy by traversing a large part of the island. It’s also the only way to get to the summits of Måhornet and Måstadheia, with their fantastic viewpoints over the open sea and their unique end-of-the-world atmosphere. The whole Måstad peninsula is classed as a natural park.
More information about this hike...
You can read the detailed description of this hike (as well as 59 other hike descriptions), enjoy hundreds of photos, maps and practical information on the paper guidebook Hiking the LOFOTEN ISLANDS.
Download the route
Join the start of the hike with Google Maps
You can use your actual location or enter the name of the place from which you wish to start
Download the route