Hiking to Kartstaven
- Type of hike : Return trip or loop
- Visibility of the route : Good to medium (if return trip)
- Start/Finish : If you are coming from Leknes head northwards (towards Svolvaer). Leave the E10 9km after Leknes, approximately 700m after the large Lake Sjerpvatnet that runs along the right-hand side of the road, and take the road to your right. Carry straight on for 1.7 km before turning left at Nykmarka where there are a few isolated houses and a small farm. The path begins alongside the farm and takes a tractor route that descends towards a few fields.
- GPS Point : Start/Finish: N68° 12.308' E13° 43.678'
Summit of Karstaven: N68° 11.637' E13° 47.870'
Peat hut: N68° 11.183' E13° 45.430'
- Extensions : Randonnée facile/moyen en A/R, moyen/difficile en boucle
The top of Kartstaven, which is only 544m altitude, is in the centre of the island of Vestvagoya and offers a direct view over Vestfjord, which extends from the narrow Kartfjord. This hike is relatively easy and the trail is clearly marked if you choose to make a return trip.
More information about this hike...
You can read the detailed description of this hike (as well as 59 other hike descriptions), enjoy hundreds of photos, maps and practical information on the paper guidebook Hiking the LOFOTEN ISLANDS.