Hiking to Støvla
- Type of hike : aller/retour ou boucle
- Visibility of the route : Good in the first part (to Munke-bu cabin), nonexistent in the second part.
- Start/Finish : Same as for Munkan
- GPS Point : Start/finish : N67 53.474 E13 00.582
Summit of Moldtinden : N67 55.353 E12 58.252
Summit of Støvla: N67 54.753 E12 58.005
- Extensions : Si boucle par le crac, difficile++, 7 à 8h, 15km, +/-1276m, '824m
- Note : This is a difficult, potentially dangerous climb. You need a good sense of direction and a GPS is strongly recommended. A good head for heights is required in some spots, only to be atempted in dry, clear weather.
The Støvla peak (824m) majestically overlooks the small port of Sørvågen. With its amphitheatre-like rock formation backing onto a dark granite cliff it resembles a giant throne. The peak is surrounded by lakes and cliffs and appears inaccessible to hikers. If you ask the locals whether there is a trail to the peak, they will all give you different answers and be a little vague about which route to follow. There is to our knowledge only two tracks to climb to the top without climbing equipment. We chose to present you the passage crossing the mountain of Snaufjellet , which is longer but allows access to the top without waiting for it to be completely cleared of snow. This walk is long and complex, which explains why so few people bother.
There is a second path, by a rocky ledge on the east slope of the mountain (south of Lake Fjerddalsvatnet ) . Warning, this second path presents risks as long as the snow has not completely disappeared from the northern face of the mountain.
More information about this hike...
You can read the detailed description of this hike (as well as 59 other hike descriptions), enjoy hundreds of photos, maps and practical information on the paper guidebook Hiking the LOFOTEN ISLANDS.
Download the route
Join the start of the hike with Google Maps
You can use your actual location or enter the name of the place from which you wish to start
Download the route